Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins

This is the third and final book of the Hunger Games trilogy and this review may contain spoilers.
It is full out war between The Capitol and all the Districts.  After District 12 is destroyed, the survivors all now reside in District 13.  Peeta is being held captive by The Capitol and Gale is actively working in the war effort.  Reluctantly, Katniss decides to be The Mockingjay and be the face of the resistance.  She along with other familiar faces must work together to save Peeta and gain their freedom by defeating The Capitol and President Snow. 


This was a great ending book to the trilogy!  I am impressed by how much I really enjoyed these books; it's a pretty solid series from beginning to end. I liked how cohesive all three books were and each book had a different purpose: the first one was obviously centered around The Hunger Games, Catching Fire was "the aftermath" of both of them surviving the hunger games, and Mockingjay was "the uprising" of the districts and the war truly begins.  These books were very well written and was able to hold my attention throughout.  


Sometimes it doesn't seem fair all the things that Katniss has to go through ... but isn't that indicative of life?  Life sure isn't fair.  One of my friends was upset because (I don't want to spoil it for anyone) but someone(s) dies but isn't death apart of life and in a series such as this, well especially this, shouldn't this be expected?  I am disappointed that certain characters had to die but I would probably complain if no one died.  Tragedy is necessary and helps characters to grow and become stronger, giving them the motivation to keep on fighting.


How can I not mention the whole Katniss, Peeta, Gale storyline.  This time Gale is the one who is present more throughout.  This is what I wanted from the beginning.  I have been waiting to get to know him more since Hunger Games.  Now, that I have more of a feel for him I have to say that I do like him, despite wanting not to because I am such a fan of Peeta.  There is just no way Gale can compete with what her and Peeta went through in the first and second books.  For Gale, I feel sorry for him but at the same time I have much respect for him.  His personality is definitely a little different from Peeta's and I like the edge that he has. I also like his intelligence and how he is able to use his hunting knowledge and apply it to making weaponry.  I like both guys but I did have a gripe with how the whole "love triangle," if you can call it that, was resolved.  In the end, I felt like she settled.  I never felt that she was completely smitten with either guy.  I was expecting her to actually choose but that isn't really how it goes down. 


District 13 was much different that I expected it to be.  The people there were very strict and, ironically, reminded me of The Capitol.  It just seemed like the people were still repressed though they were fighting for their freedom.  It was a definite contrast to the previous books where the settings were open wilderness.  The main focus was on the war efforts but I would liked to have seen more of the action on the front lines.  One thing I will say, the epilogue was not completely necessary.  I probably would have been fine without having read it. There are some things that I wish were different.  For instance, I wish that Katniss wasn't so drugged  throughout most of the book.  I wish that she would have been able to see her mom again.


Overall, I loved this entire series!  From start to finish, it was interesting and the characters were great.  It lacked in the romance department but that minor detail really doesn't effect the enjoyment of the books.  I can definitely see why there were so many rave reviews out there about it.  If you have not yet read The Hunger Games .... Shame on You!! 


★★

posted under |

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should check out Divergent by Veronica Roth, great dystopian read!

Post a Comment

I LOVE feedback! Agree or Disagree. Thank you for commenting ... leave your link and I will be sure to check out your blog and make comments too! :)

Older Post Home
Feel Free to make comments good or bad.
Suggest a book or whatever!

Follow me if you like my site and I hope that I don't disappoint! :)

Currently Reading

Tantalize - Cynthia Leitich Smith

If you want to know more about me ...

I have a new personal blog that I recently started ... feel free to stop by and comment or follow.

Followers

Next In Line

Eternal - Cynthia Leitich Smith

    The Take a Chance Challenge

    4/10 books

    Whisper Stories in My Ear 2011 Audiobook Challenge

    4/12 books

    2011 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge

    4/10 books

    2011 Strong Heroine Reading Challenge

    6/12 books

    2011 Support Your Local Library Challenge

    14/30 books

Recent Comments