The Help - Kathryn Stockett


The Help is a book set in the 1960's and is told from three different perspectives: a white woman Eugenia "Skeeter" Phelan and two black maids Aibileen and Minny.  It is set in Jackson, Mississippi during the time when the Civil Rights Movement was starting to take off and I really appreciated the real life references to history; mentioned is JFK assassination and MLK Jr. march plus more.  Skeeter is a recent graduate out of Ole Miss and wants to be a writer, Aibileen is a black maid who has raised  white babies for most of her life, and Minny is a short, dark, sass-talking maid who is the best cook in Mississippi. These three very different women will risk everything to try and make a difference in a time where racism and segregation is the norm.    


I was nervous about reading this book since I am a young African American woman and I heard it was written  by a white woman.  I wasn't sure if it would be good or feel authentic with her writing from a black person's perspective.  In no hurry to get this book, I put the audio book on hold at the library and waited. After I finished listening to it, I was surprised by how much I really enjoyed the book.  It was very well-written and I felt like I was transported to this time period.  This is the first audio book that have listened to all the way through and it was very well done; the actors made the characters come to life. I don't know if I would have gotten the same feeling from this book had I read it like I do all of the other books. I loved how the author captures the emotions of all three women. There were times when I laughed out loud and time where I wanted to cry and be angry.  I feel like I know each of the women personally and in the end I was crossing my fingers for a happy ending. I was surprised how much I related to some of the characters now because I think that racism is still an issue it's just a lot more subtle than it used to be.  I think this is a great book for anyone to read no matter what race you identify with.  I highly recommend this book even if fiction is not your genre.   


5 out of 5 STARS 

posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE feedback! Agree or Disagree. Thank you for commenting ... leave your link and I will be sure to check out your blog and make comments too! :)

Newer Post Older Post Home
Feel Free to make comments good or bad.
Suggest a book or whatever!

Follow me if you like my site and I hope that I don't disappoint! :)

Currently Reading

Tantalize - Cynthia Leitich Smith

If you want to know more about me ...

I have a new personal blog that I recently started ... feel free to stop by and comment or follow.

Followers

Next In Line

Eternal - Cynthia Leitich Smith

    The Take a Chance Challenge

    4/10 books

    Whisper Stories in My Ear 2011 Audiobook Challenge

    4/12 books

    2011 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge

    4/10 books

    2011 Strong Heroine Reading Challenge

    6/12 books

    2011 Support Your Local Library Challenge

    14/30 books

Recent Comments