Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightening Thief - Rick Riordan



Started: March 1, 2010
Finished: March 3, 2010

This book had been on my list of books to read for a long time. The release of the film really inspired me to want to read it, not to mention borders had the hard cover copies on sale for $10. I was surprised that I really really enjoyed this book! It is about a young boy who finds out that he is the son of a god but not of just any god one of the big three .. Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades. He is accused by Zeus of stealing his master lightening bolt and if it is not return by the summer solstice, then there will be a war between the big three worthy of being called World War 3. He must go on a quest to retrieve the stolen item and return it to its rightful owner before time runs out.

One of the greatest things about this book is that it answers the question of what it would be like if ancient greek gods were still around today. It stays true to Greek mythology but takes on a modern twist. Percy is todays Hercules and a true hero. He is a very likable and believable character. I love his confusion of a world he thought was fictional and how he goes through feelings of disbelief. It's nice that throughout his adventures he encounters memorable villains found in the myths. His companions are charming, helpful, and trustworthy. I like how he has one demigod and a satyr accompanying him instead of two demigods. The book was really slow in revealing who his father is and reader can easily figure it out before he does himself. This does not bother me because it is a perfect play on how the gods like to make big dramatic statements. I really appreciated the small details in the book and it's a good read for all readers young and old.

I decided to read this book before I went to theater to watch the movie adaptation. The book version of most movies are usually better and this one is no different. I think I may be more critical of the movie because there are a lot of thing that have to be left out due to time restraints. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had not read the book first. However, overall, the movie was good and the special effect were excellent. They made good choices for the actors selected to portray the characters. There were a lot of things about it that I did not like and it did not stay as true to greek mythology as the book did. If you have seen the movie, whether you liked it or not, I strongly suggest you read the book it will make parts of the movie make more sense plus it's just plain good.

5 out of 5 STARS

posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE feedback! Agree or Disagree. Thank you for commenting ... leave your link and I will be sure to check out your blog and make comments too! :)

Newer Post Older Post Home
Feel Free to make comments good or bad.
Suggest a book or whatever!

Follow me if you like my site and I hope that I don't disappoint! :)

Currently Reading

Tantalize - Cynthia Leitich Smith

If you want to know more about me ...

I have a new personal blog that I recently started ... feel free to stop by and comment or follow.

Followers

Next In Line

Eternal - Cynthia Leitich Smith

    The Take a Chance Challenge

    4/10 books

    Whisper Stories in My Ear 2011 Audiobook Challenge

    4/12 books

    2011 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge

    4/10 books

    2011 Strong Heroine Reading Challenge

    6/12 books

    2011 Support Your Local Library Challenge

    14/30 books

Recent Comments