Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan


The Sea of Monsters is the second book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.  It is about a boy who is a demigod (half human, half god) and the son of Poseidon set in the modern world.  In this installment, Percy is in his second year at Camp Half Blood where he is in training to be a hero.  We find that someone has poisoned Thalia's tree, which protects the camp making it the safest place on earth for developing heroes.  He also has a dream that his best friend, Grover, is in serious trouble.  He desperately wants to help but is told he has to stay at the camp.  Of course he doesn't and he and his friends Annabeth and Tyson set off on a quest to save Grover and the camp.   


After reading the first book, I had high expectations for this one.  It was good but definitely not as good as the first.  That being said, I still enjoyed it.  It is similar to The Odyssey and if you have read that, then this story is very predictable.  Riordan did add his own modern day spin to it, which is always nice.  One of the disappointing things about this book was its lack of the humor present in the first book.  The ending leaves you with a cliffhanger that makes you want to know more.  The wonderful thing about this series is that it's a well written adventure that is extremely addictive.  Although this one was kind of sub par, I'm connected with the characters and it makes me wonder what the next adventure will be about.  I will soon be reading the next installment The Titan's Curse. 


4 out of 5 STARS

posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE feedback! Agree or Disagree. Thank you for commenting ... leave your link and I will be sure to check out your blog and make comments too! :)

Newer Post Older Post Home
Feel Free to make comments good or bad.
Suggest a book or whatever!

Follow me if you like my site and I hope that I don't disappoint! :)

Currently Reading

Tantalize - Cynthia Leitich Smith

If you want to know more about me ...

I have a new personal blog that I recently started ... feel free to stop by and comment or follow.

Followers

Next In Line

Eternal - Cynthia Leitich Smith

    The Take a Chance Challenge

    4/10 books

    Whisper Stories in My Ear 2011 Audiobook Challenge

    4/12 books

    2011 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge

    4/10 books

    2011 Strong Heroine Reading Challenge

    6/12 books

    2011 Support Your Local Library Challenge

    14/30 books

Recent Comments