The Optimist's Daughter - Eudora Welty

Laurell McKelva Hand has to return to her home in the south to see about her father who has to get surgery.  Tragedy comes in the form of death and she is the only person in her family left besides her father's new, younger wife.  She must deal with the death of her father, revisit the death of her mother, and accept her father's wife.  


I read this book because of The Take a Chance Challenge.  This is definitely nothing like the type of books I normally like to read.  It was a short but long 180 pages.  I read this in only a couple of hours but it was very boring.  This isn't a bad book if you want to read a sad story.  I hated Judge McKelva's wife Fay.  She was very insensitive, selfish, and rude to Laurell.  Then the people that live in the town are very annoying.  I had a hard time keeping up with who was saying what.  There was a point in the book where they were going back and forth talking about Fay, Laurell's mother, and her father that I thought was completely unnecessary.  In fact, they were insensitive as well to Laurell's feelings.  I feel bad for Laurell and all that she has to endure.  For a woman in her early forties, it has to be hard to have lost a mother, father, and husband.  There were parts that was interesting, like finding out how she lost her mother and husband.  I suppose I'm glad that she came to a point where she had to accept her losses and move on with her life.  


This story is one of death and loss and I found it depressing.  I do not suggest this book to anyone who likes books with action.  I kept waiting for something exciting to happen and it never did.  I really wanted to like this book but unfortunately it just wasn't my cup of tea.  



posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE feedback! Agree or Disagree. Thank you for commenting ... leave your link and I will be sure to check out your blog and make comments too! :)

Newer Post Older Post Home
Feel Free to make comments good or bad.
Suggest a book or whatever!

Follow me if you like my site and I hope that I don't disappoint! :)

Currently Reading

Tantalize - Cynthia Leitich Smith

If you want to know more about me ...

I have a new personal blog that I recently started ... feel free to stop by and comment or follow.

Followers

Next In Line

Eternal - Cynthia Leitich Smith

    The Take a Chance Challenge

    4/10 books

    Whisper Stories in My Ear 2011 Audiobook Challenge

    4/12 books

    2011 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge

    4/10 books

    2011 Strong Heroine Reading Challenge

    6/12 books

    2011 Support Your Local Library Challenge

    14/30 books

Recent Comments