Black and White - Malorie Blackman

NOTE: The other name for this series is Naughts and Crosses. 


Sephy and Callum. One is a Naught while the other is a Cross.  They are childhood friends who have grown to love one another in a way that is not acceptable in their society.  It's simple: Naughts and Crosses do not mix. They desperately want to be with each other but first they must fight against the world and possibly even risk their lives for a forbidden love.  


This was an amazing book!  I don't want to take away any elements of surprise for the readers who have not yet read this one.  This is more than just a tragic love story.  Both of the main characters start off innocent and unaware of the hatred present in their society.  It is very relevant to the world as we know it and really made me think about the what ifs. Some people are more well off than others and some unfortunately are forced to grow up earlier in life.  This book shows that we should not judge people and also that your experiences shape who you are as a person. I was inspired to pay attention to how people around me stereotype others.   The author did a very good job tackling racism in a new  and different way.  


From the moment I started this book, it hooked me in and I never wanted to put it down.  All readers could relate to either one of the characters.  The story itself was very powerful and thought-provoking.  There were shocking twists and turns that kept me reading for hours.  I was very saddened by this book and almost brought to tears, but I loved it nonetheless.  It shows a hard, terrible, and unfortunate truth.  I loved that I was able to feel what the characters were going through.  People really need to look past the color of ones skin because we are all the made the same on the inside.  This is only the first in a trilogy  and needless to say I can't wait to get my hands on the next one (Knife Edge)


5 out of 5 STARS

posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE feedback! Agree or Disagree. Thank you for commenting ... leave your link and I will be sure to check out your blog and make comments too! :)

Newer Post Older Post Home
Feel Free to make comments good or bad.
Suggest a book or whatever!

Follow me if you like my site and I hope that I don't disappoint! :)

Currently Reading

Tantalize - Cynthia Leitich Smith

If you want to know more about me ...

I have a new personal blog that I recently started ... feel free to stop by and comment or follow.

Followers

Next In Line

Eternal - Cynthia Leitich Smith

    The Take a Chance Challenge

    4/10 books

    Whisper Stories in My Ear 2011 Audiobook Challenge

    4/12 books

    2011 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge

    4/10 books

    2011 Strong Heroine Reading Challenge

    6/12 books

    2011 Support Your Local Library Challenge

    14/30 books

Recent Comments