The Harlequin - Laurell K. Hamilton



Started: January 31, 2010
Finished: February 3, 2010

This book definitely exceeded my expectations especially since the last few have been let-downs. Edward is back for the first time since Obsidian Butterfly and he brings Olaf and Peter - who are also introduced in that book.

Since Edward hasn't been mentioned for five books, I wondered what his reaction would be to Anita's ardeur. He reacted in true Edward fashion which was pleasing but he also has had some changes of his own because of his relationship with Donna, Becca, and Peter.

There was a lot of recalling of events that happened in the previous books to bring certain parts up to speed for the readers who skipped the books that were needless to say under par. However if you have read these previous books the recapping can be really irritating. It just makes you want to say "I know, I know get on with it."

Anita is still dealing with the arduer and there are only four sexual encounter described in the book (you know that is good if you've read some the previous ones) but all four were necessary to either save her life or the lives of the people she loves. -isn't that convenient? At least they are not two chapters long. :)

Highlight to Read Spoiler:
I did not like the fact that she had sex with the rat king and the swan king at all. I'm starting to agree with some of the opinions that say she is turning into a whore.
-----------------------Spoiler End ---------------------------------------

There was a lot more action in this book. It has definitely given me hope for the next one. I liked the appearance of both Peter and Olaf, surprisingly. The whole Malcolm not blood-oathing his congregation of vamps comes back in a very negative way. The Mother of Darkness and Belle Morte are back as well. A lot happens in the book and finally the plot outweighs the sex instead of the sex overpowering the plot. She fights some badass vamps and her ruthless side comes back which is a major plus! It seems that any book she puts Edward in is bound to be good just because he is such a good character.


4 out of 5 STARS

posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE feedback! Agree or Disagree. Thank you for commenting ... leave your link and I will be sure to check out your blog and make comments too! :)

Newer Post Older Post Home
Feel Free to make comments good or bad.
Suggest a book or whatever!

Follow me if you like my site and I hope that I don't disappoint! :)

Currently Reading

Tantalize - Cynthia Leitich Smith

If you want to know more about me ...

I have a new personal blog that I recently started ... feel free to stop by and comment or follow.

Followers

Next In Line

Eternal - Cynthia Leitich Smith

    The Take a Chance Challenge

    4/10 books

    Whisper Stories in My Ear 2011 Audiobook Challenge

    4/12 books

    2011 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge

    4/10 books

    2011 Strong Heroine Reading Challenge

    6/12 books

    2011 Support Your Local Library Challenge

    14/30 books

Recent Comments