Tricks - Ellen Hopkins

Started: January 18, 2010

Finished: January 25, 2010

I'm a fan of Ellen Hopkins but this is not the best I've read from her. It's about five teenagers whose lives are indirectly connected; a lot more subtle than the characters from Impulse. Some connections are not even realized until there is only 100 pages left in the book. I read it waiting for the connections to happen and was a little disappointed. These five people have really messed up lives ... some of it is caused by themselves while others were based on circumstance. This book deals with love, family, sexuality, acceptance, sex, and of course drugs. It pushes it's characters as far as they can go. This is one of the most depressing books I've read in a while. I understand why she wanted to tell these stories and I applaud her work but I just felt sad after reading this one. I like how Ellen Hopkins is very poetic in her writings and it's supposed to invoke emotions but after completing this book I was down for a couple of hours. The best parts of the book were the poems that introduces each character's chapter.

This book is beautifully written but depressing. Also, confusing at first to distinguish between the characters but it gets easier as the book progresses. If you put it down don't be surprised if you have to backtrack in order to remember what has happened. I suggest this to be read by a more mature audience.

3 out of 5 STARS

posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE feedback! Agree or Disagree. Thank you for commenting ... leave your link and I will be sure to check out your blog and make comments too! :)

Newer Post Older Post Home
Feel Free to make comments good or bad.
Suggest a book or whatever!

Follow me if you like my site and I hope that I don't disappoint! :)

Currently Reading

Tantalize - Cynthia Leitich Smith

If you want to know more about me ...

I have a new personal blog that I recently started ... feel free to stop by and comment or follow.

Followers

Next In Line

Eternal - Cynthia Leitich Smith

    The Take a Chance Challenge

    4/10 books

    Whisper Stories in My Ear 2011 Audiobook Challenge

    4/12 books

    2011 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge

    4/10 books

    2011 Strong Heroine Reading Challenge

    6/12 books

    2011 Support Your Local Library Challenge

    14/30 books

Recent Comments