Hana-Kimi (Volumes 1-23) - Hisaya Nakajo


Hana-Kimi is a manga about a girl named Mizuki who travels across the ocean to Japan to meet her idol Izumi Sano, star athlete.  She decides to pose as a boy and attend an all-male high school.  Somehow, they end up  becoming roommates!  She has to be careful that no one finds out her secret. 

This will be the second time for me reading all the volumes of this series from beginning to end.  I LOVE this series! I almost forgot how enjoyable this series is and it was nice to rediscover all the things that made me like it in the beginning.  The story is so cute and there are a variety of characters.  My favorite is Izumi Sano.  I like how laid back he is and how he acts like he doesn't care when actually he cares a lot.  I also loved Mizuki Ashiya, Hokuto Umeda, and Shuichi Nakatsu.  Mizuki is the kind of main character that you can't help but fall in love with.  She is so impulsive, excitable, and for the most part clueless.  She definitely has a good heart and genuinely would do anything to help a friend in need.  As the story progresses, more and more people know her secret some unbeknown to her. Sano finds out her secret early in the series but keeps it to himself.  When he falls for her things get complicated because they are roommates and his internal struggles are pretty funny.  Nakatsu adds a lot of humor as his predicament is hilarious.  He actually falls for Mizuki but thinks she's a boy which leads him to believe that he's gay.  All the characters are great and by the end of the series each of their backgrounds and personalities are explained in detail.  


The only thing I guess I didn't like about it was that it sometimes veered too far from the main storyline.  There were a lot of side stories that were completely unnecessary.  Also, I won't say the ending sucked but it seemed very abrupt and rushed.  I didn't feel the same sense of closure I felt from other books like the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson series.  I guess the author wants to leave it up to the reader to decide what they think will happen to the characters. 


The art was done very nicely throughout the series.  I especially liked how she drew my favorite characters.  The art definitely added charm and humor. Overall, a great series and one that I would recommend to graphic novel readers.


4.5 out of 5 STARS 



posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE feedback! Agree or Disagree. Thank you for commenting ... leave your link and I will be sure to check out your blog and make comments too! :)

Newer Post Older Post Home
Feel Free to make comments good or bad.
Suggest a book or whatever!

Follow me if you like my site and I hope that I don't disappoint! :)

Currently Reading

Tantalize - Cynthia Leitich Smith

If you want to know more about me ...

I have a new personal blog that I recently started ... feel free to stop by and comment or follow.

Followers

Next In Line

Eternal - Cynthia Leitich Smith

    The Take a Chance Challenge

    4/10 books

    Whisper Stories in My Ear 2011 Audiobook Challenge

    4/12 books

    2011 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge

    4/10 books

    2011 Strong Heroine Reading Challenge

    6/12 books

    2011 Support Your Local Library Challenge

    14/30 books

Recent Comments