Can You Keep A Secret? - Sophie Kinsella

Emma Corrigan is your normal girl; she works hard and is trying for a promotion, has a seemingly perfect relationship with her boyfriend, and, of course, a few secrets.  But, who doesn't?  She is absolutely terrified riding on a plane; so, when she has to go out of town for business, she completely panics.  To make matters worse, there are some complications with turbulence.  Thinking she is going to die, she reveals all of her secrets to the stranger seated next to her.  Figuring she'll never see the handsome man again, she goes on about her normal life once more.  Already dealing with the disaster of her first out of town meeting, she goes into work only to find that the company's CEO, Jack Harper, is coming for a visit.  To her horror Jack Harper CEO, is none other than the stranger from the plane.  Things can't possibly get any worse .... can they?


I have to say I was a bit skeptical about reading this book, since it was generated by the site What Should I Read Next.  However, what I found was that once I started reading I didn't want to put it down.  I really enjoyed it!  It was funny and romantic and very addictive.  Emma was a very believable character and it was easy to stick by her throughout the entire story.   I was able to feel all of her emotions from excitement and happiness to pain and humiliation.  Another thing I enjoyed was the mystery behind Jack Harper and what exactly his secret was.  I couldn't help but like him despite his betrayal of Emma.   It was a straight-forward story and  I loved the concept of what if your boss knew all your secrets.  Everyone has secrets, big and small, that we wouldn't want anyone knowing and that alone makes readers sympathetic to Emma's dilemma. (sorry guys I had to do it)  I liked her narration and the many "freak out" moments she had privately in her head.  This was a fun roller coaster of a book filled with highs and lows. 


There weren't many things I didn't like about this book.  The one thing that bothered me was (highlight to read spoiler) how Jack Harper revealed her secret on national television.  I felt that was very unrealistic.  I don't think  any newscast would allow him to go on and on about some of the silly little secrets that she had.  Furthermore, him being a big time CEO and multimillionaire, if he asked them to edit something out it should be done even he needed to fork over what would for him  be a small amount of money.  


Also, for me the ending was just okay.  I kind of wished that it all didn't unfold during her friend's big moment, even though the story isn't centered around her.  I know if I were Lissy I'd be a little upset if my best friend upstaged me on my big night.  I also really didn't like her flatmate Jemima and it has nothing to do with the stunt she pulled at the end of the  book.  It was just that I didn't really understand her relationship with Emma.  It is established that they are definitely not as close as Lissy and Emma.  For that reason, it didn't make sense for her to go to such extremes to "help" Emma.  I guess her character only serves to further teach the lesson: Be careful who you tell your secrets to.


Can You Keep A Secret? counts toward my Take A Chance Challenge.  This book exemplifies the reason I wanted to do this challenge in the first place.  I really wanted to expand my library to books that I don't normally read.  I can proudly say that I enjoyed this book, from beginning to end, and there were no werewolves, vampires, necromancers, or any other preternatural beings in it.  It also goes toward 2011 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge.  If you're looking for an easy and entertaining read, you should really pick this one up.


★s

posted under |

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE feedback! Agree or Disagree. Thank you for commenting ... leave your link and I will be sure to check out your blog and make comments too! :)

Newer Post Older Post Home
Feel Free to make comments good or bad.
Suggest a book or whatever!

Follow me if you like my site and I hope that I don't disappoint! :)

Currently Reading

Tantalize - Cynthia Leitich Smith

If you want to know more about me ...

I have a new personal blog that I recently started ... feel free to stop by and comment or follow.

Followers

Next In Line

Eternal - Cynthia Leitich Smith

    The Take a Chance Challenge

    4/10 books

    Whisper Stories in My Ear 2011 Audiobook Challenge

    4/12 books

    2011 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge

    4/10 books

    2011 Strong Heroine Reading Challenge

    6/12 books

    2011 Support Your Local Library Challenge

    14/30 books

Recent Comments